Monday, March 3, 2014

Farenheit 451 pgs 48-60

2-27-14 451 pgs. 48-60
Summary: Montag wakes up with chills and a temperature. Due to his sickness, he doesn't go into work, and so his boss Beatty comes in to check on him. Beatty tells Montag that he was right about the past firemen and what their ways used to be like. He also admits to reading a couple of books before burning them, however he said that they contain nothing. To Montags surprise, Beatty told him that he wouldn't punish a fireman who took a book.
Quote: “... Serenity, Montag. Peace, Montag. Take your fight outside.”
Sig of Quote: Beatty is explaining why the firefighters now burn books and homes. The fastest way to rid of a problem is to completely wipe it out from existence, and thats what fire does. It demolishes anything it touches, never to be restored.
Reflection: I think that Montag shouldn't trust Beatty. His chief must know that Montag had stolen that book or else he wouldn't have brought it up. Once Montag returns it then they will have to arrest him or something terrible like that. I dont really know, I'm just guessing. Also, the reason for burning all the books makes no sense to me. I think that people were just looking for easy ways to get out of their problems, like in the full quote that I took that excerpt from. With Beatty’s explanation of what happened to the old firemen ways, I have noticed how it isn't just that. Home life and social life has also gone downhill. I remember in one of the past pages that Montag was surprised to see all of Clarisse’s house lights on, and when she told him that its because they are all talking to one another. Then when you look at his marriage with Mildred, you see that she loves her TVs more than him. Its very sad.
Question: Will Mildred blow Montags secret of keeping the book?


1 comment: