Thursday, August 29, 2013

Much Ado LB1

8/29                                          Much Ado About Nothing               Act 1 scene1
Summary: In this scene we are introduced to many characters: Leonato, Don Pedro (Prince of Aragon), Benedick, Beatrice, Claudio, and Leonatos niece, Hero. Benedick and Beatrice seem to be flirtatious with each other by being mean to each other, with insults and such, but Claudio gets Benedick to admit he kind of likes her after. For Claudio, he tells Leonato that he may be in love with Hero, Leonatos niece. Leonato is housing his friend Don Pedro, and Benedick, and Caudio for a month. 
Quote: " A dear happiness to women. They would else been troubled with a pernicious suitor. I thank god and my cold blood I am of your humor for that. I had rather hear my dog bark at a crow that a man swear he loves me."
Significance of Quote: This is a very brave thing for a woman to say, especially in this time. This quote gives insight to what kind of a person Beatrice is: strong, and whole-hearted. She is saying how much she doesn't  want a husband to be bestowed upon her, and that she wants passion, like all men do. 
Reflection: Within this scene we can already tell this play isnt like Othello at all; this is a comedy, with true friendship and funny lines. With the strong characters like Claudio and Beatrice, it makes this play great. What Beatrice says about men and how she mocks Benedick, it shows how brave she is, or how she doesn't care what he will do. Because for this time period, making fun of a man straight to his face proboably resulted in a smack to the face. I really like Beatrice's character.
Question: Was Shakespeare a feminist because of all his strong-women type of roles? 

1 comment:

  1. 60/60
    Great job, Pyper! I also wonder how Shakespeare developed such a feminist mindset in a very patriarchal society. Any yet, they did have a female in control. Queen Elizabeth loved literature and all the arts, so it might have appealed to her to watch plays with strong women characters. That's just my own conjecture, but I also think Shakespeare probably respected women a lot and wanted to improve their lot.

    ReplyDelete