Tuesday, September 3, 2013

litblog 7

                                      Much Ado About Nothing                                 Act I scene 2-3
Summary: In scene 2, Leonato tells his brother Antonio that Claudio is in love with Antonio’s daughter,Hero, and that he is planning on asking for her hand in marrige. In scene 3, Conrad is making an attempt to cheer up Don John, who openly says how he dispises his brother. Then Borachio comes in telling them of Claudios plans to propose to Hero.
Quote: “I wonder that thou, being, as thou sayst thou art, born under Saturn, goest about to apply a moral medicine to a mortifying mischief. I cannot hide what I am. I must be sad when I have cause and smile at no man’s jests, eat when I have stomach and wait for no man’s leisure, sleep when I am drowsy and tend on no man’s business, laugh when I am merry and claw no man in his humor.”
Significance of Quote: This is Don John speaking to Conrade about why he is sad, but thsi quote really gives insight to who Don John is as a character. As you can tell, he seems like a very melancholy, sad, even depressed guy. Knowing that he is the brother of the Prince, he will be the underestimated brother.
Reflection: These two scenes reflect friendship between two different types of people: Leonato and his brother entrust each other with secrets they thought would benefit the other, and Don John and Conrade, one trying to cheer the other up. Shakespeare was obiously familiar with the concept of frienship, and maybe he created these characters as a reflection of his real life relationships.
Question: Is Don John only sad because he is the less impportant brother, or is there other reasons behind it?

No comments:

Post a Comment