Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Much Ado Act III s 4-5

9-10-13                                Much Ado About Nothing                       Act III scenes 4-5

Summary: In scene 4, the girls are helping Hero get ready for her wedding as they all talk about random things that really have no meaning. Scene 5 is very confusing, Dogberry and Verges ramble on about silly things, but then end up giving Leonato news.
Quote: “We will spare for no wit, I warrant you. Here’s that shall drive some of them to a noncome. Only get the learned writer to set down our excommunication and meet me at
the jail.”
Significance: Dogberry is planning something. However I really cannot tell what this quote really means, I know this is an important quote. It does resemble Iago from Othello in a way, cause he is going to change somebodys words. But Iago never rambled on like Dogberry. Dogberry is a less-witty version of Iago.
Reflection: Everything seems very chaotic: the ladies gettign ready for the wedding, and a very confusing scene thanks to Dogberry and Verges. I think, since this is far into the play, that Shakespeare is trying to get the groundlings excited for the climax of the show! On a side note, Beatrice catching a cold right before the wedding may be to add onto how she is kinda stuck up about getting married, and how she never wants anything to do with Benedick.  
Question: What i sthe purpose of Dogberry? To entertain, confuse, or no reason at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment