9-24-13 Rape of the Lock
Summary: Belinda (the nymph) goes to a party in which some creepy guy also attends, and he is obssessed with three locks of Belinda's hair. The guy manages to clip two of those three locks, then Belinda gets mad at him and goes on a rampage to find them.
Quote: "First, rob'd in White, the Nymph intent adores
With Head uncover'd, the cosmetic Pow'rs.
A heav'nly Image in the Glass appears,
To that she bends, to that her Eyes she rears"
Significance of Quote: The pope seems to think of women as beautiful creatures, as it is reflected in this quote. As a pope I am actually surprized about how he wrote this, because I thought that the pope was unfair and didnt think highly of women during this time. This reading was quite the revelation.
Reflection: This was such a weird epic, I can see why they call it a mock epic. It seems like the first real comedy poem, for if I could completely understand whats written then it would be much funnier for me. Also, the way the Pope talks of Belinda "with beauty", however I feel like through all the reading I have read from those years, it seems as though thats all a women was for them. They werent credited for being witty or smart, only for being pretty.
Question: Were women in those times only depicted with attractiveness?
No comments:
Post a Comment