Wednesday, October 30, 2013

JANE EYRE CH 33-34

10/30/13 Jane Eyre ch 33-34
Summary: In chapter 33 Janes identity is revealed, because her uncle John Eyre has died leaving her 20,000 pounds.With this discovery she also finds out that St.John is her cousin! She shares her fortune with her cousins evenly. The next chapter St.John becomes very weird and depressed. Rosamond is engaged to some rich guy leaving St.john lonely and heartbroken. He abruptly asks Jane to go to India with him as a missionary and his wife. Obviously Jane says no to marrying him, but that only angers him.

Quote:  "I had found a brother: one I could be proud of,--one I could love; and two sisters whose qualities were such that, when I knew them but as mere strangers, they had inspired me with genuine affection and admiration. The two girls on whom, kneeling down on the wet ground, and looking through the low, latticed window of Moor House kitchen, I had gazed...were my near kinswoman, and the young and stately gentleman who had found me almost dying at his threshold was my blood relation. Glorious discovery to a lonely wretch!”

Significance of Quote: This is important quote because Jane has only known of the Reeds and John Eyre, whom she has never met. The Reeds, being the only family she ever knew, were horrible people who were cruel to her. Now that she has met her cousins and has grown close to them as friends, she is finally happy.

Reflection: I am beginning to see a pattern in this story:Jane will have a good streak of time, then it will be be cut short with something bad. As an example, she was excited for her wedding and was deep in love, but then the wedding was abruptly interrupted with horrible news. Here she was so happy when she found out she had more family, whom she was already good friends with, and she had just inherited a huge fortune-but then,of course, St.John has to make it awkward by asking to be his wife. Though he did say it only because he was sad about Rosamonds engagement. He didnt have to ruin Janes good streak by saying that.

Question: Why was Jane trying so hard to keep her identity a secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment