10/21/13 Jane Eyre Ch 22-24
Summary: These chapters really made me happy, because the sparks created between Jane and Mr.Rochester have finally turned to flames. Chapter 22, when Jane returns from Gateshead and accidentally meets Mr.Rochester at the Milcote station, he hints towards a proposal to mrs.Blanche. However, the next chapter, as him and Jane are sitting under the chestnut tree, he tricks her saying that he has decided to propose to Blanche. Jane, distraught, spills out all her feelings towards Mr.Rochester, to find out he loves her just as much. The finances then plan out the wedding in chapter 24, with little obstacles like Mrs. Fairfax and Janes second thoughts.
Quote: “ ‘But, Jane, I summon you as my wife: it is only you I intend to marry.’
I was silent: I thought he mocked me.”
Significance of Quote: “I thought he mocked me,” is most important here. Jane had just been basically proposed to, and right away she believes it is a joke. And from what I read in chapter 24, she seems to have trouble with the fact that she is to be married. Jane and Mr. Rochester's relationship may have some breakage along the way, for Jane doesn't know how to love in this way. She knows friendship love, which is much different from the love Mr. Rochester and her have together. She doesn't know how to handle it; and due to this quote, its almost foreshadowing her thoughts on the whole relationship.
Reflection: The lightning that struck the chestnut tree in the storm after mr. Rochester's proposal, is either a sign or a mere coincidence. I think that Charlotte Bronte wrote this in to give her readers a bit of excitement, because not only was the tree struck by lightning, but mrs.Fairfax also is against this marriage. Mr.Rochester should have proposed to mrs.Blanche, a wealthy woman who he could have shared her fortune with; instead of Jane, who has no fortune (yet) and is only his governess. Their love is blinding him from making the right decision about marrying to support his family, but it is also making him and Jane happy. Of course the lightning striking the tree could only be a coincidence and mrs. Fairfax could just be jealous of Jane. you never know
Question: What is mr.Rochester's first name?
No comments:
Post a Comment